Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Designer CRUSH: Interview with JARLATH MELLETT


Seasoned fashion designer turned interior designer, Jarlath Mellett is a current major CRUSH of mine {see my previous post on his gorgeous interiors}!  His ability to take hip, modern forms and transpose them with traditional and antique pieces make for sophisticated spaces with major longevity.  He's not a "fad"... he's the real deal... and I'm giddy over the opportunity to share my exclusive interview with all of you...


House Crush: I knew I wanted to be an interior designer when...
JM: After a great career in fashion, I decided to indulge myself in my second passion, interiors.  Have always loved doing my own interiors, it was only natural for me to take it on as a second career.

House Crush: If I only had $1,000 to refresh a room, I would...
JM: To me it would be something like wallpaper or paint because it is a quick fix.  You can do anything by doing an accent wall, a band of color, stripes.  You can totally transform a room with color on the walls or wallpaper.

House Crush: I have a good day when...
JM: I have found the perfect piece for a project and when we're conceptualizing a home and it finally comes together.

House Crush: Currently coveting...
JM: Anything COLOR!  I am dying for anything colorful.  I want color, color, color.  Raspberry wool chairs, all that, you name it.

House Crush: My favorite cocktail...
JM: Bombai and tonic with lemon - It has to be Schweppes tonic and has to be lemon... no lime.

House Crush: This Fall, my wardrobe needs...
JM: As many huge chunky sweater cardigans as I can get.  A huge sweater, Bottega Veneta, worn-tailored corduroys and chunky boots.  That's what I'll be wearing!

House Crush: I recently met...
JM: Well, Sir Paul McCartney came into my store and bought some chairs in Amagansett.  That was pretty amazing.

House Crush: The biggest decorating no-no...
JM: Just following something that isn't yours.  Trying to replicate a picture in a magazine and it doesn't have your personality.

House Crush: I could not live without...
JM: Betty, my black lab

House Crush:  My dream client...
JM: A Russian heiress with a fabulous palace outside of St. Petersburg that she wants just totally done in the Jarlath Mellett style.  That crazy mix of modern and vintage and personalized pieces.

House Crush: A trend no one is talking about in the design world...
JM: Color is back.  Mixing of patterns is back.  Everyone is so afraid of color and I think that is one of the biggest things that is taking off.  A total explosion in that arena.

Another sampling of Jarlath's style...






Pretty amazing right?!

A huge thank you to Jarlath for taking time to chat with us!

Now, go get your crush on...




2 comments:

  1. Love love this crush, the sympliciity and the pop of unexpected color. Kuddos on the great interview, confidence to get braver with colors. Keep them comin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this post. This post is a nice one that similar to fashion designing company chennai and fashion designing company india. That I will inform about your post to my friends and all the best for your future post..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...